03
Oct
10

The ‘Real’ 100 inch components are installed


We’ve pre-installed the ‘actual’ 100 inch S&S components that’ll be run in this bike. First of all to verify that I wouldn’t need to clearance the backbone for the rear rocker cover (which I don’t) and also to decide what would need to be done regarding the exhaust. I’m a huge fan of 2 into 1 exhaust so that part was easy, the thing I was hoping for was to be able to use an “off the shelf” system. First I tried a pair of Vance & Hines Short shots, which I expected I’d need to shorten a bit then add a collector. Those won’t work because they end up just a tiny bit too high and would require I cut a ‘notch’ into the mid-frame cover to clear the 4 inch muffler I’ll be using. I also tried a Supertrapp system, but that required a slight ‘ding’ in the front pipe to clear the chassis, plus I’d have to relocate the forward controls because the Supertrapp is a mid-control specific pipe. I really wanted to use the Supertrapp for the quiet performance it’d provide, along with the fact that both front and rear primary pipes are exactly the same length which is best for optimum performance.  What I’ve decided to do is build my own exhaust using the same 1 3/4 inch primary tubing as the Supertrapp system, route them in a way to make them as close as possible to equal-length,  then merge them together with a real deal ‘racing’ collector (not one of those cheap stamped pieces of shit) then weld that collector to a stock bagger muffler that I’m going to modify by shortening it a bit and opening up the internal restrictor plates. Finally I’m going to create a flange that’ll allow me to use the Supertrapp diffuser discs to fine tune the exhaust. I know a guy who added the discs to a Bassani Road Rage system with some pretty sweet results. I’ll have to admit I am a bit concerned that the stock bagger muffler will be a bit restrictive, but am hoping that after opening up the restrictor plates in it I’ll overcome that possible problem. I want this bike to be relatively quiet, but I don’t want to sacrifice performance. I’d put an automotive muffler on it if wouldn’t impede performance and would look good. I know this sounds odd as most Harley enthusiasts like the noise – as I’ve gotten older I’d rather have something that ‘seems’ (sounds) pretty docile, but with a quick snap of the throttle will kick the shit out of any doubters…

After the exhaust is done I’ll finish up the gas tank mounting and tunneling and the oil tank mounting. Once thats done it’ll be ready to come apart for paint and FINAL assembly.

I’ve got another ‘Pro-Tour’ project that I’ll be tearing into right after all the mock-up is done on the Pro-Tour ‘S’, and that one is for a client. This one isn’t going into a stock XL chassis so there’ll be a few one-off components I’ll need to create for it – but for the most part I’ll be using the lion’s share of the body components you see here on this one, and this should give you a good idea of the typical turn-around time it’ll take to convert a stock XL into a Pro-Tour ‘S’.

Oh one more thing, I have the majority of the seat pan completed but can’t finish the front of it until I’ve got the shape of the rear portion of the gas tank finalized. So you’ll just have to wait a little longer to see how it turned out. If you have any questions about this project, by all means ASK! I don’t bite and am happy to see all the interest there is in this conversion!

Advertisements

0 Responses to “The ‘Real’ 100 inch components are installed”



  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: