Archive for February, 2010

23
Feb
10

Rear storage

The rough openings for the rear storage compartments are done. Next step is creating the doors and I should have images of them within the next couple of days. This all looks pretty rough right now, but once the doors are done I’ll go over everything with a grinder to smooth the high spots, then apply a light coat of poly putty and sand that one more time before shooting a few coats of filling primer. After that I’ll do one more sanding process and it’ll be ready for sealer and paint. Once the paint has cured I’ll do a quick wetsand and buff of the clamshell  interior and I’ll make molds from both sides of the interior which I’ll use to recreate these storage compartments for the next Pro-Tour ‘S’… that’ll be a rubber mount based bike.

Advertisements
21
Feb
10

the passenger seat

Here’s the passenger seat I created for the clamshell on Mark’s bike. This is exactly what’ll be used on the Pro-Tour ‘S’. Whats invisible is the hardware beneath the cushion. I made a bracket that bolts thru the clamshell and the Corbin backrest slips into that bracket. When not using the passenger seat I made a 1/4 in thick fiberglass piece with the same footprint as the base of the passenger seat, which covers the holes used to secure the passenger seat in place.

20
Feb
10

a redesign

Here are a couple more images showing a change I’ve made to the shape of the clamshell sides. I’ve added these for two reasons. The first, and main one is for aesthetics – Over on the XL forum someone mentioned they thought the clamshell looked sort of like a Cushman. I’m always willing to listen to other’s thoughts and ideas and I appreciate people being honest – it helps me design a better, more attractive product. so I added the section to the sides of the clamshell to take away some of that boxy look which brings me to the second reason for adding this to the design. It will leave even more storage space in the midframe covers I’ll be creating shortly.

One more thing you likely noticed is the upper left and right corners of the clamshell have been slightly reshaped. I did this because, after looking at the first design, there was a ‘flat’ area there that, after a while I wasn’t particularly in Love with, and it was the only part of the design that had a flat, non-rounded area. The rest of the bike has only rounded shaping, so I think this change creates continuity with the rest of the machine.

20
Feb
10

I’m back & on the attack!!!!

Unbelievable how this (like every project that’s for myself) has been put on the back burner sooooo much. I’m determined to finish this bike for the beginning of the 2010 riding season. Since my last posting the folks at IronWorks Magazine have locked in a full feature on the bike, including the entire process being chronicled here, and ending with an evaluation test ride by Paul Holdsworth – the self proclaimed ‘Meddling Editor’ of the rag. In these photos you can now see the finished rear subframe and supporting structure for the passenger. You’ll likely notice its different on this bike than on Mark Platt’s Pro-Tour ‘X’. The reason for that is, although there haven’t been any issues with Mark’s in the first 1700 miles he’s got on his bike, I’m simply not satisfied with the passenger weight being supported by the rear edge of the ‘inner fender’ on his design. I don’t think there will be any issues with it, and if there are I’ll stand behind my work as I always do, but I figured, if I’m going to market this ‘kit’ I’d better engineer it from the beginning in a fashion that is as bulletproof as possible.

Before adding the inner storage areas, which add considerable strength to the overall design, I bounced my 230 pound lard ass on this set up and didn’t harm the glass work in any way. I hand lay 6 layers of chopped strand mat in a 10″x10″ area where the support pads are so theres virtually zero chance of failure.